Mother’s milk is the healthiest food for a baby.
But for many reasons, mothers sometimes feed formula to their babies.
Though most mothers breastfeed their babies, many others feed the formula.
Hence when you visit a local store, you will notice products from various brands.
Most infants happily drink the milk but have you wondered what does baby formula taste like? Since they take to it most of the time, we can guess.
But obviously, we’re all curious, so we will find out a baby formula’s taste and why it’s so popular.
What is Baby Formula?
Infant or baby formula is a manufactured food specially created to feed infants under 12 months.
You can find powder form, which you have to mix with water, or liquid form that requires little or no water.
The milk is suitable for a bottle or cup feeding, and though not as healthy as mother’s milk, it’s the next best thing.
The usual contents of infant formula include:
- A protein source from purified cow’s milk casein and whey.
- A fat source from a mix of vegetable oils.
- Lactose as a carb source.
- A blend of vitamins and minerals.
The formula may contain some other ingredients but can differ from brand to brand.
Some brands also use soybean as the primary protein source.
You might also find some products which have protein that has been hydrolyzed into amino acids.
These are for babies who have an allergic reaction to other proteins.
What Does Baby Formula Taste Like?
Manufacturers design Infant formula keeping mother’s milk in mind.
They include all the ingredients that can nourish a baby in the same way as breast milk.
So, we assume that the formula would taste like natural human milk.
However, the taste of a mother’s milk depends on what a specific person has eaten.
The most common description for breast milk is “heavily sweetened almond milk.”
So how about infant formula? The answer is it does taste slightly similar to human milk but not we can’t say it’s the same.
Those who have tasted baby formula have different opinions regarding its flavor.
It’s mainly because different brands use different ingredients to make the formula.
Most milk-based products are said to have low levels of sweetness and ‘sour and cereal type’.
On the other hand, soy-based products are said to be sweeter but also sour and bitter with a beany/hay scent.
Baby formula goes by several names such as infant formula, baby milk, formula, false milk, infant milk, or first milk.
A typical formula contains protein, fat, vitamins, linoleic acid, phosphorous, calcium, chloride, potassium, sodium, selenium, iodine, copper, manganese, zinc, iron, and magnesium.
Formulas which are not milk-based are likely to have biotin, choline, and inositol.
When buying baby milk, you should.
- Read the ingredients carefully and see that it has all the required elements. .
- Check the expiry date and ensure it’s still valid and safe. .
- Only choose a pack that’s properly sealed and in good condition.
- See that it’s for infants and not toddlers.
What Happens If a Baby Doesn’t Like Formula?
While most babies take to a formula like a duck to water, some may hesitate to accept it or even refuse to consume it.
So, what can you do if your baby refuses to eat?
Before getting to the solution, let’s first see why an infant doesn’t like the formula.
There are several reasons for that, and here are some of them.
- If you have been breastfeeding your child since birth, it’s used to that, and it wants to continue.
- Your baby isn’t hungry or thirsty at the moment.
- Your baby is ill.
- Your baby isn’t in a comfortable position.
- Your baby doesn’t like the formula’s taste, texture, or temperature.
- Your baby doesn’t like the bottle’s texture or feel.
Introducing your baby to the bottle can be quite challenging, but if you know why it refuses to take the formula, you can solve the problem easily.
You can do the following and see if it works.
- Be patient with your baby when transitioning from breastfeeding to bottle-feeding.
- Make sure that the baby is hungry enough before feeding.
- Change the temperature; too hot or too cold can be a turn-off.
- Try allowing someone else to feed the baby.
- Put your baby in a different position.
You can also take your baby to the doctor for a check-up.
It may be allergic to some ingredients or may not be well.
You may also consult your pediatrician and try some of the best alternatives to baby formula like goat milk, coconut milk, cow milk formula, or rice milk.
As we learned in the beginning, mother’s milk is the best.
But if for any reason you have to switch to a formula, select the best and most popular brands.
If your child refuses the formula, try everything and see why it doesn’t like it.
You can then try the solutions.
You can consult the doctor and find the proper method to feed your child.
All you want for your baby is to be happy, healthy, and satisfied, so don’t stop until you have the ideal solution.