Dragon fruit is a perfect choice if you want fruit with high Vitamins that will help your digestive system.
You can eat this fruit the first thing in the morning to enable your digestive system to perfectly break down its sugars, supplying your body with all the nutrients it contains.
To ensure you end up with the best Dragon fruit, pick one with bright and evenly colored skin.
You should be concerned about this fruit going bad because it poses negative health risks when consumed.
Before buying it, you might wonder, how long does Dragon Fruit last?
The shelf life of this fruit depends on how you store it.
If you store it in the pantry, it will only last one to two days.
If you decide to store your ripe fruit in the refrigerator, it can last up to a week.
Frozen dragon fruit can last up to three months without losing its flavors.
What’s Dragon Fruit?
This tropical fruit is known for its unique look and taste, primarily grown in Southeast Asia.
It is usually pear-shaped and pinkish in color.
Dragon fruit has white or red, with tiny digestible black seeds sprinkled throughout, and is best eaten raw.
Although it is not widely known, dragon fruit has a lot of benefits it offers to the human body.
The benefits of this fruit include;.
- It contains high fiber, providing you with a good amount of several vitamins and minerals. .
- It also contains antioxidants that enhance your brain health and reduce heart disease risks. .
- It contains prebiotic fiber that promotes the growth of beneficial bacteria in your gut, potentially improving metabolic health.
How Long Does Dragon Fruit Last? Does Dragon Fruit Go Bad?
Yes, Dragon fruit can go bad.
This can happen if the fruit over-ripens or is stored under unfavorable conditions.
The shelf life of this fruit depends on where it has been stored or how it is stored, If it is whole or cut into pieces.
Before storing it, you should not peel or cut it, as it will shorten its life significantly.
When stored in the pantry, it can last two to three days.
Consequently, ensure that you store dragon fruit away from the sunlight, as it will start to rot.
Additionally, do not keep a ripe dragon fruit in the pantry for more than three days, as it will become mushy and unsafe to eat.
If you wish to keep your fruit in the refrigerator, make sure you put it in a sealed container or bag first to prolong its stay by up to two weeks.
This will also help the fruit maintain its taste, as it tends to get affected by other foods in the fridge.
Putting dragon fruit into the refrigerator will slow down the ripening process, making it last up to two weeks.
You can also freeze this fruit.
Before freezing it, you will need to follow a few steps to ensure it is safe for consumption afterward;.
- Cut it into small cube-like pieces.
- Place the cut pieces on a plate or tray, ensuring that they do not touch each other for easier removal once frozen.
- Let your cut dragon fruit stay overnight in the freezer to make them completely frozen. It is essential to ensure your tray is leveled, so the cubes don’t slide around.
- Once you have frozen dragon fruits, gently transfer them to a container or plastic bag to keep them fresher. This can make your fruits last up to three months. .
How to Tell if Dragon Fruit is Bad?
It is easy to spot a dragon fruit that has gone bad, as its physical color and texture will start changing immediately.
The following are the signs and causes of your fruit going bad;.
- Its skin appearance will change. Once your fruit starts rotting, its skin will be loose and wrinkled. .
- Bad dragon fruit will also change its physical color from pink to purple, and the leaves can turn dark green. This can result when the fruit is exposed to sunlight or warmer temperatures.
- You can also tell your fruit is bad by checking its inner color. When the dragon fruit goes wrong, the inner color changes and becomes darker brown. To notice the color change, cut the fruit into two and if you notice even a few botches of this darker shade, throw the fruit into a bin. .
- Another way to tell if your dragon fruit has gone wrong is its flavor. Usually, good dragon fruit has a slightly sweet, syrupy flavor. If you realize your dragon fruit does not taste the same as others, you should dispose of it in a bin, as it can be rotten and poisonous.
- The last sign to know if your dragon fruit is from its odor. Typical dragon fruit does not have a specific strong smell. However, it can start producing a foul smell once it rots and needs to be thrown away immediately. .
Dragon fruit is among the most nutritious fruits in the world, as it contains several nutrients and vitamins that improve our whole digestive and immune system.
One of its benefits is that it contains antioxidants that reduce the risks of heart attacks.
To ensure you eat healthy dragon fruit, do not wait until it is overripe, as it will lose its delicious taste.
Do not also cut your fruit into pieces when storing them in the pantry, as they will start to rot after twenty-four hours.
One way to ensure you have good Dragon fruit is by picking the one with bright pink color and smooth skin.