Do you ever find yourself standing in front of the pulled pork sandwich, wondering what on earth should go with it? How can you get the most out of your delicious meal? What toppings will bring out all its juicy goodness and elevate its flavor even more? Today’s blog post is here to answer those questions for you.
We are going to discuss which pulled pork toppings will take your sandwich from good (or maybe mediocre) to great.
Join us as we explore various combinations that are sure to please any palette.
What is Pulled Pork?
Pulled pork is a popular dish made from slow-cooking pork until it becomes tender and easy to pull apart, resulting in flavorful shreds of meat.
This dish is typically seasoned with a variety of herbs and spices, including paprika, cumin, chili powder, and garlic.
Once the pork is fully cooked, it is shredded or “pulled” using two forks.
Pulled pork can then be used as a base for numerous recipes such as sandwiches or tacos.
When it comes to toppings for pulled pork, there are several great options to choose from.
Some popular choices include coleslaw, pickles, onions, jalapeños, barbecue sauce, hot sauce and various cheeses.
These toppings complement the flavor of the pulled pork while also adding texture and visual appeal to the dish.
It is worth noting that different styles of pulled pork may pair better with different toppings.
For example, Carolina-style pulled pork traditionally features a tangy vinegar-based sauce that pairs well with coleslaw and pickles whereas Texas-style pulled pork often incorporates smoky flavors and is typically served with hot sauce and diced onions.
Popular Toppings for Pulled Pork
When it comes to enhancing the flavor of your pulled pork, there are several popular toppings that you can use.
These toppings help to balance the richness of the meat and add some texture and freshness.
Here are some suggestions for “Well-Liked Accompaniments on Shredded Pork” that you can try:
- BBQ sauce: A classic topping for pulled pork is BBQ sauce, which adds sweetness, tanginess, and smokiness.
- Coleslaw: Another common topping for pulled pork is coleslaw, which provides a crunchy contrast to the tender meat.
- Pickles: Pickles offer a zesty and sour flavor that pairs well with the savory notes of pork.
- Jalapenos: If you want to add a bit of heat to your pulled pork, jalapenos or other spicy peppers can give it a spicy kick.
- Cheese: For those who love cheese, adding some shredded cheddar or Monterey Jack on top of the pulled pork can provide an extra layer of richness.
Additionally, you might also consider trying honey mustard, hot sauce or avocado as toppings for your shredded pork.
Remember that these are just suggestions; feel free to experiment with different flavors and combinations until you find what works best for your taste buds.
1 – Barbecue Sauce
Barbecue Sauce is an essential topping for Pulled Pork.
It helps enhance the flavor of the meat and adds a smoky tang to it.
Here are some variations that can add an extra zing to your Pulled Pork meal:
- Traditional BBQ sauce: This sauce is a classic blend of tomato, vinegar, and spices like cumin, paprika, and chili powder.
- Mustard BBQ sauce: Popular in South Carolina, this tangy sauce replaces tomatoes with mustard as the base ingredient.
- White BBQ sauce: Originated in Alabama, this unique blend features mayo, horseradish, and vinegar that adds a kick to the pork.
- Honey BBQ sauce: This sweet variation of traditional BBQ sauce with honey as a key ingredient has become increasingly popular lately.
- Spicy BBQ sauce: For those who love an extra kick in their meals, adding spicy elements like ghost pepper or habanero makes for an irresistible combination.
- Fruit-based BBQ sauces: A fruit-infused barbecue sauce is perfect for those looking for a sweeter taste. Variations include apple-based barbecue sauces or raspberry-flavored ones.
Keep in mind that not all types of barbecue sauces will suit every individual’s taste buds.
Experimenting with different flavors is the best way to know which one best suits your palate.
However, it’s best to go slow with spicier variations to avoid overpowering the meat’s flavor.
2 – Coleslaw
Coleslaw is an impeccable side dish that accompanies the savory and juicy flavor of pulled pork impeccably.
Here are five delightful ways to prepare Coleslaw for your pulled pork:
- Traditional Coleslaw – A mix of shredded cabbage, carrots, apple cider vinegar, sugar, mayonnaise, salt and black pepper.
- Vinegar-Based Coleslaw – Lighter version of traditional coleslaw with a tangy kick made with white wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar in place of mayonnaise.
- Spicy Coleslaw – Intensify your coleslaw by adding chopped jalapenos or red pepper flakes for a subtle heat.
- Fruit & Nut Coleslaw – Experiment with flavors and textures by adding diced apples, raisins, or walnuts to your classic coleslaw recipe.
- Asian-Inspired Coleslaw – Experiment with soy sauce or sesame oil for an Asian-inspired twist on traditional coleslaw. Add honey and lime juice for sweetness and brightness.
For best outcomes, mix the ingredients 30 minutes before serving to allow all the flavors to come together.
3 – Pickles
Pickles are an excellent topping for pulled pork, adding both a tangy and sweet flavor profile to the meat.
Here are six points to know about incorporating pickles into your pulled pork dish.
- Choose the Right Pickle: Aim for a dill or bread-and-butter pickle, as they work best in balancing out the flavors of BBQ sauce and pork.
- Sliced vs. Whole: You can use sliced pickles or keep them whole, depending on your preference.
- Place Them Strategically: Don’t just toss the pickles on top of the meat; instead, place them strategically throughout the sandwich to ensure that every bite includes a little bit of pickle.
- Consider Quantity: Use moderation when it comes to how many pickles you add – too many can overpower the flavor of the dish.
- Get Creative with Variations: Mix up your pickle game by trying out different types such as spicy pickles or even kimchi to elevate your dish even further.
- Experiment with Prep Techniques: Try out different prepping techniques like marinating your pulled pork in pickle brine before cooking to enhance its flavor even more.
To switch up your traditional pickle toppings, consider making a homemade pickle relish or using flavored pickles like whiskey or honey garlic.
Whether you slice them thin or serve them whole, pickles offer a fantastic crunch and zing that complements pulled pork perfectly.
4 – Hot Sauce or Spicy Mayo
For those who enjoy a little kick to their pulled pork, 4 – Spicy Condiments can be the perfect addition.
Here are six variations of hot sauce or spicy mayo that pair well with pulled pork:
- Chipotle Hot Sauce – Adds a smoky and spicy flavor to the dish.
- Sriracha Mayo – Combines the tangy mayonnaise flavor with the spiciness of Sriracha sauce.
- Jalapeno Hot Sauce – Provides a mild heat and adds a bold flavor to the pulled pork.
- Cayenne Pepper Sauce – Adds a fiery-hot kick to the dish that complements the rich flavors nicely.
- Buffalo Hot Sauce – For those who enjoy buffalo wings, this hot sauce provides a similar taste profile when added to pulled pork.
While each of these condiments adds its unique spin on spice, they all share one similarity: they enhance the overall taste and complexity of pulled pork.
Serve on top or alongside your choice of bread, coleslaw, or other toppings for optimal enjoyment.
5 – Caramelized Onions
Adding a hint of sweetness to your pulled pork, topping it with caramelized onions is an excellent choice.
The rich, savory flavor of pork pairs well with the deep, sweet taste of caramelized onions.
- To caramelize onions, slice them thin and cook them slowly in olive oil for about 30-40 minutes on low heat until they turn golden brown.
- Caramelized onions can be added to the pork before cooking or after as a finishing touch.
- Last but not least, caramelized onions add a delightful texture to your dish, making it an inviting treat for the palate.
Caramelized onions provide much-needed sweetness and depth of flavor to your pulled pork.
They’re versatile toppings that work exceedingly well with sandwiches or salads.
They provide your dish with just enough natural sugars and aroma without overpowering it.
6 – Cheese
When it comes to enhancing the flavors of pulled pork, cheese is a great option.
Cheese comes in an array of variations that can be melted on top or crumbled over your dish.
It adds a rich and creamy texture to your barbecue.
Types of cheese like cheddar, pepper jack, and Monterey jack are commonly used with this dish.
Blue cheese gives a unique tanginess while smoked gouda adds a smoky flavor.
Whether you want something mild or strong, there’s always a type of cheese waiting to take your pulled pork up a notch.
Creative and Unique Toppings for Pulled Pork
Pulled pork is a versatile and delicious food that can be complemented by a variety of toppings.
To enhance the flavor of your pulled pork, consider adding some creative and unique toppings.
Here are four toppings that can take your pulled pork to the next level:
- Crunchy Slaw: Shredded cabbage mixed with grated carrots, sliced onions, mayonnaise, and vinegar makes a refreshing coleslaw topping that adds texture and tang to tender pulled pork.
- Corn Salsa: Combine corn kernels, diced tomatoes, chopped cilantro, red onion, lime juice, salt, and pepper for a flavorful salsa that complements the smoky taste of pulled pork. Serve it as a topping or on the side.
- Pickled Red Onion: Pickle thinly sliced red onions in apple cider vinegar with sugar and salt for at least an hour before serving. The sweet-tart flavor pairs well with savory pulled pork.
- Chipotle Mayo: Mix mayonnaise with canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce for a spicy yet creamy topping that brings out the heat in your pulled pork.
Lastly, don’t forget about barbecue sauces.
While traditional tomato-based sauce is always an option, you could also try experimenting with different types of sauces such as mustard-based or vinegar-based ones.
Whether you’re entertaining guests or just looking to switch up your usual pulled pork recipe, these creative and unique toppings will surely impress your taste buds.
1 – Pineapple Salsa
Pulled pork is a versatile dish that can pair well with various toppings.
One such topping variant is a flavorful blend of pineapple salsa, which can add a tangy and sweet taste to the pulled pork.
- The combination of diced pineapples, red onions, bell peppers, and cilantro can create a unique taste profile suitable for pulled pork.
- Pineapple juice can marinate the pork and impart an extra layer of pineapple flavoring to it.
- Adding jalapeno or chili flakes to the salsa can kick up the spice level and create a perfect balance between heat and sweetness.
- Grilling or roasting the pineapples beforehand can crown your dish with a charred flavor finish.
- Squeeze some lime into the salsa for acidulating balance that will cut through savory richness of meat.
Incorporating pineapple salsa on top of pulled pork not only enhances its taste but also gives it an exotic presentation suitable for any get-together.
So try this delicious topping variant, next time you plan to serve pulled pork at your dinner table.
2 – Jalapeño Relish
Jalapeño Relish is an excellent topping for pulled pork as it adds a zesty kick of heat.
Here are some points to consider:
- The relish has a spicy and tangy flavor that complements the smoky taste of the meat.
- The addition of jalapeños, onions, and vinegar in the recipe gives the relish a crunchy texture.
- It is easy to make and requires only a few ingredients like jalapeños, onions, vinegar, sugar, salt, and pepper.
- Jalapeño relish can be used as a condiment or topping for burgers, sandwiches, tacos and more.
- It can also be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to six months.
- You can adjust the spice level based on your preference by adding more or fewer jalapeños or adjusting the amount of sugar in the recipe.
In summary, Jalapeño Relish is an easy way to add flavor and heat to your pulled pork dish.
Give it a try at your next BBQ party.
3 – Avocado or Guacamole
Adding a creamy element to pulled pork can enhance the taste and texture of the dish.
One delicious option is using avocado or guacamole.
Here are some ways to incorporate avocado into your pulled pork recipe:
- Slices of fresh avocado: Top your pulled pork sandwich with slices of ripe avocado for a smooth texture.
- Guacamole sauce: Blend together mashed avocados, lime juice, and spices to create a tasty guacamole sauce that can be used as a topping or dip.
- Avocado aioli: Mix mashed avocado with mayonnaise and garlic to create a rich and tangy aioli sauce.
Avocado provides healthy fats, vitamins, fiber, and flavor to the dish.
It also pairs well with other ingredients like tomatoes, onions, and cilantro.
Experiment with different preparations of avocado to discover your own favorite way of enjoying it with pulled pork.
4 – Fried Egg
Combining smoky pulled pork with a fried egg can greatly enhance the taste and texture of your meal.
Adding an egg yolk on top of your pulled pork adds creaminess to the dish, while the egg whites provide a contrasting texture.
The yolk also creates a delicious sauce that compliments the flavors of the pork.
To make this dish even more appetizing, you can add crispy bacon or chives on top of it for an extra crunch and freshness.
Pulled pork is a delicious dish, and it can be enhanced with a range of toppings.
The toppings you add will depend on your personal preference, but there are some popular choices that many people enjoy.
Additionally, some people like to add cheese to their pulled pork sandwich.
Cheddar, pepper jack, or even blue cheese can all work well depending on your taste preferences.
Finally, if you’re feeling adventurous, you could try adding avocado, bacon bits or even an egg on your sandwich.
Andrew Gray is a seasoned food writer and blogger with a wealth of experience in the restaurant and catering industries. With a passion for all things delicious, Andrew has honed his culinary expertise through his work as a personal chef and caterer.
His love for food led him to venture into food writing, where he has contributed to various online publications, sharing his knowledge and insights on the culinary world. As the proud owner of AmericasRestaurant.com, Andrew covers a wide range of topics, including recipes, restaurant reviews, product recommendations, and culinary tips.
Through his website, he aims to inspire and educate fellow food enthusiasts, offering a comprehensive resource for all things food-related.